This select committee ensures the promotion of equality and opportunity within the borough, including dealing with issues of discrimination based on race, ethnic origin, gender, disability, sexuality, age or class. It also scrutinises services regarding access for vulnerable and minority groups.
The committee is responsible for fulfilling all the Council's Overview and Scrutiny functions in relation to crime and disorder as set out in the Police and Justice Act 2006. This includes the power to:
· review or scrutinise decisions made, or other action taken, in connection with the discharge by responsible authorities of their crime and disorder function and to make reports or recommendations to the local authority or the Executive with respect to the discharge of those functions
· make proposals to the Executive to promote equality of opportunity within the borough, including issues of discrimination based on race, ethnic origin, gender, disability, sexuality, and and/or class
· recommend to the Executive, the Council or an appropriate committee proposals for policy development in relation to equalities issues
· analyse policy options as necessary to inform the proposals to b made to the Executive or other appropriate committee
· advise the Executive or other appropriate committee on all matters relating to equality of opportunity both in terms of policy, service provision, employment and/or access to public services
· consider and recommend to the Executive , ways in which participation by disadvantaged and under-represented sections of the community might be more effectively involved in the democratic processes of local government
· pilot methods of consultation and involvement and to report back to the Executive or appropriate committee on their effectiveness with recommendations if appropriate
· establish links with and liaise with external organisations in the borough which are concerned with the promotion of equality and opportunity.
· the committee may also make reports or recommendations with respect to any local crime and disorder matter in relation to a member of the authority.
Support officer: Katie Wood - 0208 3149446.