Lewisham Council
Menu
Council meetings

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Brent Knoll School, Perry Rise, SE23 2XH

Contact: Laura Luckhurst  020 8314 3830

Items
No. Item

1.

Funding Marketplace and casting of votes

Minutes:

Fourteen local organisations attended the Assembly Marketplace to promote their projects.  Over 90 people attended the meeting to cast their votes for at least 6 projects, in a very busy meeting. It was a great networking opportunity for groups and many useful new contacts were made. Voting was between 7.00 – 7.45 pm

2.

Chair's Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chair announced the end of voting and welcomed everyone to the meeting.  It was noted that Cllr Susan Wise was unable to attend the meeting due to sickness.

3.

Local Healthwatch

Minutes:

Dr. Magna Aidoo gave a presentation explaining the role of Healthwatch Bromley and Lewisham and how people can be involved.  The presentation is available to view on the LB Lewisham Perry Vale Assembly page.

Q: How can we be involved?

A: Call 020 8314 1916 and speak to a member of the team.

Q: Do you have a presence in health hubs full time?

A: We have a presence at different times depending on volunteer availability.  Please visit our website at http://www.healthwatchbromley.co.uk/ or call for details.

Q: At my local pharmacy I was asked to sign a petition against closure.  We are being asked to take minor health problems to the pharmacy – are we losing pharmacies?

A: Healthwatch Bromley & Lewisham will raise this question higher up.  We are aware that not all health issues can be dealt with by pharmacies.

The Chair added that the council’s Healthier Communities committee are also looking at this issue.

 

4.

Safer Neighbourhood Team update

Minutes:

PC Richard Bailey informed people that “Trick or Treat” posters are available to display in your front windows asking trick or treaters not to call.  The usual guidance also applies about fireworks.  More details on the SNT Perry Vale News link here.

PC Bailey also informed people of a new initiative where community officers would be wearing body cameras.  These would only be activated when officers were attending an incident and not in normal day to day use on patrol.  He asked members of the public not to be deterred from approaching an officer, as the camera will not be in use during normal everyday interaction with the public on the streets.

Q: Is there a light on the camera to indicate that it’s in use?

A: a PC will always inform you if you are being filmed

Q: Why is the camera not in use at all times?

A: It has not been deemed necessary

Q: Can a jury demand to see the footage from a body camera?

A: Yes

Q: Will it reduce deaths in custody?

A: We don’t know.   We already have CCTV in police vans and stations.

PC Bailey gave a reminder to use the 101 number to report a non-emergency issue to the police, including those that you feel require the involvement of the local SNT.  The 101 call centre will always pass a call to the SNT if we need to be involved.  Please still use 999 if there is an emergency requiring police presence. 

5.

Great North Wood Project

Minutes:

Sam Bentley-Toon of London Wildlife Trust introduced the Great North Wood Project, which formerly covered much of the local area of south and south east London from New Cross in the north, down to Thornton Heath in the south.

The project is in its first phase, and seeking further Heritage Lottery funding for work maintaining and enhancing the biodiversity of the remaining fragments of the Great North Wood, and engaging local communities. 

The Great North Wood presentation (available to view or download from the Perry Vale Assembly page) shows some of the amazing biodiversity that currently exists in the remaining fragments of wood.

For more information on the project and to get involved, please visit:

www.wildlondon.org.uk/great-north-wood

www.facebook.com/TheGreatNorthWood

Twitter @GreatNorthWood

 

6.

Mayow Park Consultation update

Minutes:

Laura Luckhurst updated the meeting on consultations that had taken place to date and the suggestions that had been made for improving Mayow Park.  Please see Appendix A for the full details and who to contact if you would like to take an idea forward.

7.

Questions

Minutes:

There were no questions at this point in the meeting.

8.

Community Updates

Minutes:

Isabelle Freh spoke about the Teens Festival being organised at TNG on Friday 21st October and encouraged people to spread the word.

 

Cllr John Paschoud informed people of the reading project taking place at Perrymount School, which needs more volunteers to read with children.

 

9.

Announcement of Funding Votes

Minutes:

Before announcing the votes, the Chair noted that councillors have fought to keep the funding for Assemblies and the Assembly Funds, under pressure from cutbacks.  The Assembly Fund received bids for 200% of the money available.  Regrettably some projects would not be able to be funded, however, the Assembly will help with identifying other sources of funding and support.

Voting was as follows:

Place

Number of votes

Organisation and Project

1st

61

Rockbourne Youth Club, Life Skills Healthy Eating

2nd

55

Young Lewisham Project, Flooring the Floor

3rd

53

Grow Mayow, Bee our Guest

4th

52

Lewisham Elders Resource Centre, Memory Cafe

5th

49

Perrymount School, Playground equipment

6th

41

Patform One, Intergenerational Music Project

7th

36

Forest Hill Traders, Public Bike repair Stand and Bike Pump

 

The 7th project received part funding.

10.

Feedback and Close

Minutes:

People were invited to complete feedback forms and the meeting closed at 9.00 pm