Venue: Civic Suite
Contact: Timothy Andrew Email: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
That the minutes of the meeting held on 30 November 2022 be agreed as an accurate record.
1.1 Resolved: That the minutes of the meeting held on 30 November 2022 be agreed as an accurate record.
2.1 Councillor Laura Cunningham declared an interest as a member of the Brockley Society (which worked closely with the Breakspears Mews allotment society)
2.2 Councillor Coral Howard declared an interest as an allotment holder at Trewsbury Road allotments.
That the Task and Finish Group report and recommendations be agreed for referral to Mayor and Cabinet.
3.1 Councillor Coral Howard addressed the Task and Finish Group – thanking members for their work, noting the key Groups’ key findings, and emphasising the potential for community gardening in Lewisham.
3.2 Timothy Andrew (Scrutiny Manager) introduced the report – highlighting the outcome of the Groups’ evidence gathering and inviting members to comment on, and agree, the recommendations.
3.3 In Committee discussions - the following key points were noted:
· That consideration should be given to the funding available from section 106 to improve social value.
· That there were opportunities in new developments to create new community gardens – particularly those being led by the Council.
· Schemes being delivered by the Council could serve as pilots – to show what was possible.
· That any work with schools should be led by people with knowledge of the education system.
· That schools often had knowledge about the importance of community gardening but not the capacity to deliver on their ambitions.
· That the Group would welcome additional resources and officer time to support community gardening.
· That the Council should be bold in its approach.
· Members would welcome further updates on the implementation of the recommendation as well as opportunities to be involved in the delivery of community gardening initiatives in the future.
3.4 Resolved: that the Task and Finish Group report and recommendations be agreed for referral to Mayor and Cabinet.