Proposed venue: The New Generation Youth Centre, 111, Wells Park Road, Sydenham SE26
Contact: Laura Luckhurst
Welcome from the Chair
Cllr Liam Curran welcomed everyone to the Assembly and thanked them for attending. He explained it was a short agenda in order to allow people to go and enjoy the four Fun Palaces happening around Sydenham on the day. These were the first Fun Palaces in Sydenham, and it was hoped the idea would be taken up and repeated in future. This year’s Fun Palaces are an experiment, and we would learn from them. There had been such enthusiasm for the concept that there were 5 Fun Palaces across 2 days. The Fun Palaces were being held in Sydenham Centre, Sydenham Library, Grove Centre, and of course TNG where the Assembly was held. Cllr Curran thanked all the Fun Palace organisers for their enthusiasm and commitment in creating these events.
Written updates were provided. Electronic copies are available from firstname.lastname@example.org on request. The following responses were given to questions:
· Boilers R Us has not closed, but is under renovation
· The previous Budgens retail unit is still awaiting a new occupant. The Freeholder is reluctant to make improvements for Iceland. Safeway would offer a 10 – 15 year lease.
· Zanara Court are now looking for a mixed use to enable a Yoga Studio on the high street
· There was no further news from Crown Post Office. Ellie Reeves MP had asked questions in parliament
· The planning application to open a Dallas Chicken in the previous Calabash has been refused
· Meetings had been held with the Archdiocese about Our Lady and St Philip Neri school. Demolition is not the authorities’ preferred option, but negotiating for a more attractive frontage to the new building.
· KFH has been fitted out but opening date unknown.
· The Mayor of Lewisham has written asking for there to be no demolition of Bell Green Gasholders, and for development to include housing. It was hoped to possibly use an Article 4 intervention from Bell Green, Whitefoot and Downham on rogue landlords. This would allow LBL to carry out a consultation. Government guidance allows this demolition unless the council can find a specific objection.
· Poodle Club is doing very well – welcomed as good news
· Cllr Copley reported he had written to Environmental services asking them to issue a notice to Crystal Palace Festival to stop the flyposting
· Cllr Curran is trying to get disability access implemented at Sydenham and Forest Hill stations. The good news is that these ticket offices will not be closing in this round.
Safer Neighbourhood Team
PC Shaun Rodway reported that burglaries are on the rise in Sydenham Ward, however one perpetrator has been arrested in Sydenham which would hopefully reduce the figures. He reminded people that burglary is usually opportunistic, so to avoid leaving doors/windows open when going out.
Laura Luckhurst agreed to explore getting the advice posted on LBL website if SNT send this through to her.
SNT have posters that you can put in your front window if you don’t want trick or treaters to call. Fireworks should be over by 10.00 pm.
Launch of Fun Palaces
A group photo was taken and the Fun Palaces officially declared open.
Meeting closed at 12.00 noon.