Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Suite, Lewisham Town Hall, Catford, SE6 4RU
All Members present in the Council Chambers advised they had been lobbied, with regard to Item 3 on the meeting’s Agenda.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meetings of the Strategic Planning Committee held on 23 March 2021 and the AGM, Strategic Planning Committee held on 26 May 2021 be agreed and signed as a correct record.
That planning permission be GRANTED for the demolition of existing buildings at Mais House and Otto Close garages, SE26, and redevelopment to provide a part four, six and seven storey building and a part two and three storey terrace building providing a total of 110 residential units (use class C3), community room and estate office; together with alterations to the existing ball court; associated works to vehicular and pedestrian access from Sydenham Hill, Lammas Green and Kirkdale; provision of car and cycle parking, refuse storage and landscaping including amenity space and play area, subject to a S106 Legal Agreement, and conditions and informatives outlined in the main report, and in light of additional requirements as follows:
1. An additional condition requiring details of the specification of the Mais House entrance lobby outlining how the use of columns and visible structural support has been minimised.
2. An amendment to condition 4 ‘Soft Landscaping’ to ensure details of the management and maintenance of the landscaping is secured in perpetuity.
The Planning Officer, gave an illustrative presentation recommending the grant of planning permission for the demolition of existing buildings at Mais House and Otto Close garages, SE26, and redevelopment to provide:
· a part four, six and seven storey building and a part two and three storey terrace building providing a total of 110 residential units (use class C3), community room and estate office; together with alterations to the existing ball court; associated works to vehicular and pedestrian access from Sydenham Hill, Lammas Green and Kirkdale; provision of car and cycle parking, refuse storage and landscaping including amenity space and play area.
The committee noted the report and that the main issues were:
· Principle of Development
· Urban Design
· Impact on Adjoining Properties
· Sustainable Development
· Natural Environment
· Planning Obligations
Following the presentation, Members’ raised concerns regarding the application, ecological concerns, accessibility, nomination rights, tenure, internal communal space, planning policy and consultation.
The Officer advised Members the application under consideration was the same application approved in 2020. The application was brought back before the committee, following a successful claim for judicial review in relation to planning permission, as outlined in the Officer’s report.
The Officer confirmed there would be a programme of tree planting, to reinstate trees lost at a ratio in excess of two to one. The trees would be climate resistant. The Officer advised Members that the 46 replacement trees would not replicate the existing mature trees to be removed. This is because it would take approximately 5 years for the replacement trees to have the desired effect, of mimicking the existing canopy. The Officer advised the species of trees to be used could be agreed via a condition included in the agreement with the applicant.
Members were advised by the Officer that the development had been designed to accommodate 10% wheelchair user dwellings and would meet the Building Regulation standard (M4(3)). The remaining 90% would meet the accessible and adaptable standard Building Regulation standard (M4(2)). The Officer also referred to the presentation slides to provide clarification with regard to gradients.
The Officer informed Members the nomination rights would be 110 Social Rent residential units, with at least 50% of nomination rights given to Lewisham Council. The remaining 50% of nomination rights would go to the applicant, City of London.
The Committee were advised by the Officer that the proposal would comprise of 100% affordable housing (by habitable room), on-site. It would be made up entirely of social rent tenured units. It was felt by officers the proposed housing mix and tenure responded to local needs. In addition, the increased weight given to social rent provision was considered an appropriate response to local need.
The Officer advised Members that the design team would review the location of the central column / investigate its deletion. The Officer stated the applicant would be better placed to better answer the question.
Members were assured by the Officer that the scheme had been amended following significant pre-application discussions. Whilst ... view the full minutes text for item 5.