Decision Maker: Sustainable Development Select Committee
Decision status: For consultation
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee resolved to pass the following comments to the Overview & Scrutiny Business Panel on 16 December 2014:
· The Committee supports the extension of the Bakerloo Line past Lewisham to Hayes with the option to also extend to Bromley.
· Whilst the Committee recognises the importance of the Bakerloo extension to Lewisham and the resulting transformation of Lewisham Station into a major strategic transport interchange, the Committee wanted to specifically ensure the submission to TfL did not overly focus on, or give the impression, implied or otherwise, that we would be in anyway satisfied with the Bakerloo Line terminating there. The Committee felt that the real benefits to the wider borough of Lewisham can only be fully realised by ensuring the route continues south into the borough and the case for extension should be made on that basis.
· The Committee highlighted that the extension will pass through flood plain areas, especially around the Ladywell area, and that provisions should be considered to alleviate issues around building on flood plains.
· Consideration should be given to the rezoning of stations on the new Bakerloo route, bringing more stations from charging zone 3 to zone 2 and from charging zone 4 to zone 3.
· The current location of Lower Sydenham station is recognised as unsuitable for connectivity with pedestrians and other forms of public transport. Further serious investigation should be carried out with regard to relocating the station to one or both sides of the bridge at Southend Lane at the junction with the current Hayes Line/future Bakerloo extension. Furthermore, the current bridge width is acknowledged to be too narrow and too low for both vehicles and pedestrians. The inevitable significant track and bridge works would present the ideal opportunity to relocate the station, thus enabling greater integration with pedestrian, bus and car traffic. The land available could also enable development advantages to the borough.
· For accuracy of the record, the report should include in its timeline the significant role of the Sustainable Development Committee since 2010 in supporting and promoting the southern extension of the Bakerloo Line.
Report author: Simon Moss
Publication date: 06/01/2015
Date of decision: 09/12/2014
Decided at meeting: 09/12/2014 - Sustainable Development Select Committee