Decision Maker: Sustainable Development Select Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Resolved: that the Committee refer its views to Mayor and Cabinet, as follows-
· The Committee notes the Council's decision in February 2017 to oppose the closure of New Cross crown post office and for the same reasons outlined in that decision the Committee opposes the closure of Sydenham crown post office. The Committee believes the loss of skilled jobs, skilled staff and the economic impact on the high street would be a serious blow to the local economy and to consumers.
· The Committee asks that the Mayor write to the government minister responsible, and the Chief Executive of the Post Office, about the potential loss of Sydenham crown post office.
· The Committee requests that Council officers be tasked with investigating how lease arrangements might be negotiated to retain the crown post office in Sydenham for the benefit of the local community.
· The Chair of Committee intends to write to Jim Dowd about the potential closure Sydenham crown post office and asks that the Mayor do the same.
· The Committee recommends that the Council should request further information from the Post Office about its strategy to preserve the full range of post office services for Lewisham residents.
Publication date: 08/03/2017
Date of decision: 08/03/2017
Decided at meeting: 08/03/2017 - Sustainable Development Select Committee